Monday 1 June 2015

Of Monks And Mindfulness


It's a strange world we inhabit now, where we can be so attuned to our inner selves.
Yet we're also in denial.
Science and the quest for factual evidence leaves many people disenfranchised and quite distant from their roots, both geographically and spiritually.
The other day, a friend posted a Guardian piece about a monk known as the 'happiest man in the world '.
The article talked of no possessions and being mindful and in the 'now' and all that populist stuff.
I read that the monk had created an app to teach meditation.
Despite my inner cynic, I found myself  thinking yes, here is a remedy for 21st Century anxiety and the relentless pace of modern life.
I clicked on the link, and was dismayed to find that the app was only for Apple phones (and ipad, natch ).
So much for global consciousness, I thought, my inner cynic rushing gleefully to the fore.

To me, this embodies the whole dilemma.
Spiritual longing married to material limitations.
Coupled with an over-riding sense that the spiritual is somehow wrong.

I cannot be a part of awakening consciousness as there is no empirical evidence for any such state 
Besides,  I don't subscribe to all things Apple.

Disenfranchised by my own thoughts based on an encounter with an online article.
In other words defeated by Maya, the veil of illusion .

Now, before I get deep and meaningless again, let me say this:

I am not a 'hater'- this is new-speak .

However,
I am cynical
I am bitter
I am twisted.

I put it down to my pragmatic, stoic Scots heritage, mixed with an everlasting horror at the excesses of the human race.
Possibly why I need to learn to meditate...
Because I'm also eternally hopeful.

Like supporters of the Scotland football team.
Or the England team...
...or any team you love who lose regularly but you always have hope.

I'm doing it again.
Losing focus.
'Switchbait' I think is what they call it
Switchbait is what is happening in my brain.
Neurons bored of a train of thought.
Looking for a shiny, new toy.

So yes, meditation would be good to learn.
But then I found myself meditating whilst ironing this morning.
That counts doesn't it ?
Hang on whilst I consult my guru...
Oh, I haven't got one.
It must be me.
Phew, glad that's sorted then.
Except, that makes me a Humanist.
And I hate labels...







No comments:

Post a Comment